Click on questions to see answers
Physicians are in high demand throughout Canada and it can be tough to recruit and compete. Even though an attractive ad can help, we cannot guarantee success, especially during peak times (e.g. summer and holidays) and in rural areas. Here are some tips:
- Use the form!
- Put as much detailed information as you can on the ad form. The form is specially designed to highlight the information that physicians want when deciding on a job. With so many offers out there, it is crucial that you be descriptive and give potential physicians a good sense of what the job will be like. Ads with scant or incomplete information do poorly. The good news is with Locums.ca, there is no limit on word count!
- A picture is worth 1000 words!
- Jazz up and distinguish your ads with photos of the facility, the staff and the surrounding area. Be sure to include interesting recreational activities and scenic spots. Be creative!
- Promote your ad!
- Use our Promote and Feature functions to give your ad more visibility.
- Put your best offer upfront
- The financial section of the job ad is the most viewed and important part of the ad. Offer competitive remuneration terms with a guaranteed minimum especially during summer and holidays. Do not leave blank or put "Negotiable" in the guaranteed minimum section - our experience is that this will lead to very little or no responses.
- Be flexible about your dates and job duties
- Offer flexible dates (e.g. any 2 weeks in July) and schedule choices. For locum coverage, If you can, take vacation during off-peak periods as it's much easier to find locums outside of traditional holidays. Arrange with colleagues to cover some of your job duties (e.g. on call) if possible so it'll be optional for locums to take on.
- Offer incentives & perks!
- There are many ways to attract physicians besides having competitive remuneration. Offer vacation accommodations and guided activities (e.g. fishing, boat trips). Remember to make an effort to welcome the physician into the community - that will ensure that the physician will return and give good word-of-mouth to fellow locums.
- Provide references
- This is obvious but often overlooked. Ask previous locums and colleagues to provide references. Better yet, have them submit Testimonials that can be attached to your ad